Internal Advisory Committee
Internal Advisory Committee: The IAC consists of high-ranking institutional members who have jurisdiction over institutional space, finances, and in-kind personnel support, as well as clinical relief time for research activities for clinical/scientists. This ensures strong institutional support for the Center for Pediatric Research. The IAC, in conjunction with the AdminCore, is responsible for the evaluation strategies to assess core performance and achievements.
• Robert Brent, M.D, Ph.D. Head, Clinical and Environmental Teratology Lab (Professor and Former Chairman of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University, Medical College, Phila. PA). He is a noted and distinguished authority on Clinical and Environmental Teratology, clinical/scientist and has authored hundreds of peer-reviewed manuscripts, review articles, and book chapters. Based on his vast administrative experience, Dr. Brent has been helpful in providing guidance to the PI/PD for the overall assessment of target and pilot projects over the years. He attends all center meetings, conferences and symposia and provides valuable feedback to the AdminCore.
• Vicky Funanage, Ph.D, Director, Biomedical Research, Nemours Foundation, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University, Medical College Phila. PA. She supervises the PI/PD and meets regularly to discuss administrative issues within Biomedical Research. As Director of Biomedical Research, Dr. Funanage has jurisdiction over institutional space, finances, and in-kind personnel support. In addition, she is an accomplished investigator in clinical genetics with numerous publications, academic accomplishments and directs a CLIA-certified Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory.
• Sam Giddings, M.D. Division Chief of Cardiology, Nemours Cardiac Center, Professor of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University, Medical College Phila. PA. He is a senior Clinical/Scientist, accomplished clinical trials investigator with numerous publications and academic accomplishments. Over the years, he has provided guidance to our many clinical/scientists with regard to balancing clinical responsibilities and conducting research efforts, particularly clinical trials.
• Jay Greenspan, M.D. Robert L. Brent Chairman and Professor of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University, Medical College Phila. PA. He is a senior Clinical/Scientist, accomplished clinical investigator with numerous publications and academic accomplishments. In addition, he is responsible for the allocation of clinical schedules for release time for clinicians interested in pilot projects both within COBRE and throughout the IDeA network.
• Stephen Lawless, M.D., M.B.A. VP of Quality and Safety, Professor of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University, Medical College Phila. PA. He is a senior clinical/administrator responsible for many policies within our organization. Specifically, he provides guidance and oversight on all regulatory policies (IRB, Safety, Compliance, etc) for institutional associates. His role on the IAC is critical for ensuring compliance and regulatory guidelines.